Enough!! (Flickr + Aperture Integration)

Ok, I haven't post much into this blog as I said I would.. and that was not the original idea but things have been a little busy around and I hope I can overcome that..

Having said that,  a few weeks ago I was fed up with the Flickr  + Aperture integration and I decided to stop using it al together, I was uploading some images to Flickr that I took during the Japanese Festival 2012 that happened in Houston (where I volunteered as an event photographer) and it was just a pain, I was following my own guidelines to avoid surprises but this time whenever I dragged an image to the Flickr album it would take forever to "synchronize" and in most cases it ended up duplicating one of the images that were already in the album for no apparent reason (I had not touched the image or album directly on Flickr).
Needles to say I had to delete a few images that already had views/comments and that's when I decided it was enough, I disconnected Aperture from Flickr and started to manage my files manually, yes I know there are plugins that could the job but I couldn't find one that would fit the bill (there may be one out there but I was so frustrated to look), plus being "burned" by a first party product I wanted to avoid any surprises and just went manual....

So how are things now?

Well it's more work for sure, there are some things that are migrated with the image (photo metadata) but things like title / description have to me entered manually, I have to make sure images are on the right set but Flickr's web tools are ok and easy to use so no big deal, if I go back and change the post processing of an image then I have to find that image and replace the photo.... its like.. you know manual management!

The one think I have now is peace of mind, my images will not be randomly duplicated or reorganized or re-posted and worse than that deleted if I am "careless enough" to select a browser filter when I'm in a Flickr Album.....

I have some hopes for Aperture 4 or whatever comes from Apple, Lightroom 4 is out and people keep telling me how awesome it is and how it is the de facto standard for the job, but I'm still not convinced, I like Aperture and there are things that I hope they improve but I'll see when the new version comes out.

I've been involved in other photo events and I hope I'll be posting something about them soon. =).

Anyway if somebody out there knows a good Flickr plugin let me know.

In the mean time here are a couple of images from that event:

Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Texas

Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Texas

Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Texas

To view the entire set click here ->  Japanese Festival 2012 Houston



Comments

Popular Posts